Monday, December 17, 2012

Book review: Let's Pretend This Never Happened

Cover from her website
Several friends encouraged me to read this book (from Ruidoso's Book Store, Books Etc.--have you seen their new website?).  I am so glad I finally took their advice.

Written by Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess, Let's Pretend This Never Happened is a laugh-til-you-cry-it's-so-funny-because-it's-true series of essays (blogs) on life.  At several chapters I had to put the book down to catch my breath and let my vision clear (of tears) so I could continue.

When I read biographies or memoirs, I find I learn about myself and people in general.  What we are thinking, why those thought chains run as they do, and these help me feel like I can make a little more sense of the world.  Not only do the author and I share a first name (who doesn't these days?), but her family stories help me feel happy about who I am and appreciate how I came to be so.

The creature on the cover is a taxidermy mouse, dressed a la Shakespeare.  It is the most tame story in the book, which explores her childhood with a father who worked in taxidermy, at home, through her years working in Human Resources and moving to the Texas Hill Country.  Whenever I mention this book to others, who have read it, they bring up the 5' metal chicken.

Correction: Tuesday's music begins at 3:30pm, not 4:30pm (Dec 18th).


P.S. Ruidoso Public Library closes Saturday at 2pm and remains closed Monday and Tuesday.  We will open Wednesday morning at 9am.

No comments:

Post a Comment